Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Dentist Wheaton, IL
Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) cause serious health risks due to lack of effective sleep and medical conditions associated with restricted air flow. If you’ve been diagnosed with OSA or think you may have OSA, we may be able to fit you with a removable oral appliance that will treat your condition. This is FDA approved and most medical insurances cover the cost of the appliance.
Causes of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
The cause of sleep apnea involves the temporary narrowing or closure of the airway while at rest. Obstructive Sleep Apnea can be brought on by:
- Genetic predisposition
- Poor posture when sleeping
- Spinal column problems
- Enlarged tongue, tonsils, and/or adenoids
- Narrow arch (crowded mouth)
- Large neck
- Age-related muscle fatigue in the neck
A narrow or blocked airway causes the patient to struggle for breath, which can lead to snoring, a reduction in oxygen in the blood, and ultimately arousals (interrupted sleep).
Symptoms of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
If you suspect you may have OSA, answer the following questions. Based on your results, you might have OSA. If you answer yes to more than 5 questions, you may be at high risk of OSA. If so, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with our doctor. We work with local physicians for an accurate diagnosis, and we can provide options such as oral appliance therapy for patients with snoring problems or mild to moderate OSA.
- Do you snore?
- Do you often feel tired, fatigued or sleepy during daytime?
- Has anyone observed you stop breathing during your sleep?
- Do you have or are you being treated for high blood pressure?
- Is your Body Mass Index greater than 28 (calculate BMI here http://www.cdc.gov/widgets/BmiForAdults/BmiForAdults.swf)?
- Are you over 50 years old?
- Are you a man with a neck circumference greater than 17 inches? Or a woman with a neck circumference greater than 16 inches?
- Are you male?
Contact our office for more information.