Over time, teeth begin to weaken and become more susceptible to problems such as decay, cracks or discoloration. Crowns are used to renew the appearance and function of a tooth. Crowns are not limited to just replacing the original tooth, but can be designed to create an even better aesthetic appearance.
Other reasons for needing a dental crown include:
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left.
- To cover severely discolored teeth.
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down.
- To restore and protect Endodontically ( Root Canal treated) teeth
Also, they are often used in conjunction with root canal therapy, dental implants or as an anchor for a bridge.
The procedure for receiving a crown in our office as follows:
One Single Visit
- X-rays will be taken to check the health of the tooth receiving the crown. If the tooth has extensive decay or there is a risk of infection, a root canal treatment may be performed first.
- Anesthesia is used to numb the area to eliminate pain. The tooth that is receiving the crown will be shaped to make room for the crown.
- A video camera will be used to take a scan of your teeth which takes around 1-2 mins.
- The crown is designed on the computer and milled by us with our in-office milling machine
- We try the crown in to ensure proper fit and bite
- The crown polished and if need be final fired in our porcelain oven
- The crown is permanently bonded in place!
Crowns are typically made from porcelain in order to maintain strength and a natural appearance. Once treatment is complete, continue to practice proper at home care and keep regular office visits to help your crown last many years. Much like your original teeth, crowns require routine brushing and flossing.
We use CEREC machine to make high quality dental restorations in one patient visit. This system allows us to make precise restorations that look great, fit perfectly and can last for many years. For more information or to request an appointment, contact us.